Thursday, November 20, 2014


TIME FOR NEW GOALS!

Now that the New York marathon has come to a close (phew), and I no longer have to endure 33km runs on the weekend (double phew), I figured it was time to switch my focus to a new goal!

My aim this season is to go back to short distance racing (my one true love) and attempt to qualify for the Australian team at the World Age Group Triathlon Championships in the USA in September, 2015.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the process, the International Triathlon Union hold a triathlon series around the world each year, where non-professionals compete against the best in the world in their age group in the Sprint and Olympic distance triathlon. Next year, it will be in Chicago.

You can qualify for the Australian team by competing in any of Triathlon Australia's qualifying races around the country (they take your best three results). I have chosen to race in Olympic Distance and have already competed in Yarrawonga to score early points (I came 9th in 35-39 age group). I also plan to do Wollongong Olympic Distance in March, which is National Qualifier and offers double points (which hopefully means I won't have to do a third race).

                                                  
Yarrawonga Mulwala Multisport Festival, Victoria (try saying that 3 times fast)!


In order to represent Australia, I need to finish in the Top 25 in my age group in both races. The higher up you finish, the more points you get. The more points you get, the higher your chances are of being selected. 

If I get chosen, I'll be competing for Australia against the best athletes in the world in my age group. I won't be chasing the podium in Chicago. In fact, I'm about 20 mins off the pace! However I will be competing for the opportunity to represent my country in a sport that I genuinely love. What an experience it would be to race for Team Australia!

With this in mind, I have committed to the following races in 2014/15:

Balmoral Triathlon Club Series (400m swim/15km bike/4km run) - Nov 23, Feb 1, Mar 29
(www.balmoraltriclub.org.au)

Tri Orange, Orange (1.5km swim/40km ride/10km run) - Feb 7
(www.eliteenergy.com.au)

Husky Sprint, Huskisson (750m swim/20km bike/5km run) - Feb 21 
(Husky Long Course weekend)

Tri the Gong*, Wollongong (1.5km swim/40km ride/10km run) - Mar 8
(www.eliteenergy.com.au)

NSW Club Championships, Forster - May 16

*denotes qualifying race for World's

To help support my upcoming season, I'm excited to announce that I have been chosen as an ambassador for Northside Runners, alongside the likes of race commentator Matt Harris, Surf Ironman Kendrick Louis, and elite runner Lauren Hamilton. I am extremely grateful for this opportunity, as I'm just a middle-of-the-pack age grouper who loves to swim, bike and run. But I love their products, the team behind the store and what they represent, so it has been a perfect fit. Thank you to Mike Delgarno and the entire NSR team for making me feel so welcome and supporting my racing this season.

If you're a Balmoral Triathlon Club member, you get a 10% discount when you shop at Northside Runners. Go in and have to chat to the guys at the Crows Nest or Manly store. They provide expert knowledge and advice to the running and triathlon community. They are also extremely passionate about running and can help sort you out for the summer season of racing. So if you need shoes, race nutrition, or running and compression gear, tell them The Fonginator sent you.

If you want more info on the latest NSR running events, check out their website: http://www.northsiderunners.com.au/running-help/events

In the mean time, I will continue to be coached by super fast Ironman, Owain Matthews from Energylink (check out his blog here. You can also follow him on Twitter/Instagram: @owainmatthews) and I look forward to working with him over the next few months!

That's it for now. Bring on 2015! 


No comments:

Post a Comment