Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 6 - Ankle healed & ready for Husky!

Hey guys!

Not a whole lot to report on this week. Have just arrived back in Sydney after a weekend in Perth for a friends wedding, so it was a very short week of training. I had a fantastic time though (my second time to the west coast) & the weather was simply amazing. Apparently Perth gets something ridiculous like 300 days of sunshine a year. So I have added it to my list of places to live before I die. I would love to go over & actually work/live there for a while. The idea of training outdoors year round is VERY appealing (ie I can leave my wind trainer here, that's for sure)!


 
Cottesloe Beach on a Friday afternoon - about 30*C!

There's only more week til my first race of the season - the Elite Energy Series in Huskisson on the south coast of NSW. I plan to race in the 1km Ocean Swim on Friday afternoon, the Sprint distance triathlon on Saturday morning (750m swim, 20km cycle, 5km run) & the Fun Run on Saturday afternoon (either the 2km or the 5km race, depending on my ankle). On Sunday, I will be cheering from the sidelines & supporting all of the guys/girls racing in the Long Course event (2km swim/83km cycle/20km run). Look out for The Fonginator in the new yellow tri suit (which needs to be remade to actually fit me, but serves well as a fancy dress outfit for the day in the mean time).

Husky is going to be an awesome weekend! I have hired a house with 6 others in Vincentia, only a couple of kilometres from transition and I can't wait to finally get my racing legs back. 

I am still feeling very positive & happy with how my training has progressed so far & I am trying to be as consistent as my other work/life commitments will allow. I keep picturing that Ironman finish line every time I come home have a stretch after a training session. It gives me butterflies & I haven't even done the race yet! If that doesn't get you out of bed in the morning (after you've already tried a dose of HTFU), then nothing will!

The highlight of my training this week was the BTC Run Time Trial at Alan Border Oval on Thursday night. This was my first track session for 2012 (and probably only my third ever appearance at track, as I used to have teaching commitments on Thursday nights) & I was stoked to have completed the 5km race with absolutely no pain (except when my lungs wanted to explode out of my chest). My ankle held up really well & even though I forgot to wear my Garmin, I managed to count all 15 laps of the oval (yes, 15 LAPS)! I am not 100% sure of my finish time but it was in the vicinity of 22-24 mins. Not bad considering I only had surgery about 10 weeks ago. Good work ankle, keep it up!

Oh & I had some pretty cool celeb spots on my flight home from Perth; Johnny Ruffo from X Factor Australia & the entire St George Illawarra Rugby League team, including Wendell Sailor. I sat next to Daniel Vidot who was very charming. This is him (photo courtesy of Google stalker):



So, anyone up for some footy??

Anyway, that's it from me this week. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog. Feel free to repost & share the Fonginator love.

Bel
HTFU

1 comment:

  1. Nice post and story, Congratulations for the job well done and looking forward always for more updates. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete