Sunday, March 18, 2012

Recovery Week

Another week closer to the big day & although my training hours have dropped this week for recovery week, I am feeling pretty good. I've never been more ready for a race - its a very weird but humbling feeling that I only hope will continue to stay with me over the next few weeks.

Recovery week included a total of 6kms of swimming, 33kms of running & 150kms of cycling; about 12.5hrs of swim/bike/run training, plus 3 hrs of group fitness classes. I have been a bit slack on my new years resolution to do yoga every week but plan to get back on track this week, as I find it complements my training really well (never thought I would ever hear those words come out of my mouth! I used to be very anti-yoga. I thought it was too slow & boring. But, like every class, it is very dependent on the style & the teacher).

My program included 2 x 30km easy rides this week. I am not sure if you know Kirribilli very well but  there is absolutely no way to avoid hills, so I decided to embark on the use of my turbo trainer. Most people know I loathe this piece of equipment. The thought is sitting on a bike & not going anywhere bores me to tears. Some people have suggested putting on a movie or just cranking some music but I just can't seem to motivate myself enough, no matter how hard I try. I made the most of having an "easy" week so I just watched the news. Its funny, I can multi-task in so many different areas of my life, yet I can't seem to concentrate when I sit on a bike inside.


My runs this week have felt a lot better than last week; 15km on Tuesday, 8km on Thursday & 10km on Saturday. I'm still slow running up hills but my heel has loosened up from all the stretching. Good girl, go me! I had to do a couple of the runs in the rain this week & at first, I always whinge about it being wet (because all I can think about is having to run in sludgy wet socks - ugh), but once I am out there, I feel like a big kid. Its amazing how a bit of water can feel so liberating!

                                             View from Circular Quay on my run this week


I have somehow managed to stay injury free this year - until a couple of days ago. Yet another injury caused when not training! I swam 3km on Thursday night & when I went to bed that night, I must've have slept on it funny. I woke up on Friday morning, barely able to turn my head. My neck was in absolute agony. I had to teach Body Attack that morning so I spent the good part of an hour at home before the class with a golf ball up against the wall, trying to massage it into my upper back/neck! If only I had a video camera handy - I looked so awkward, but god it was awesome. Definitely loosened it up but unfortunately it was only temporary relief & I had to see my physio yesterday (the miracle worker, Michael Lee from Performance Care in Crows Nest). Turns out the joint in my shoulder blade was so tight from pulling a muscle that was attached to my thoracic spine...WHILE I WAS SLEEPING! This could only happen to me. Hopefully its better by tomorrow. Stretch, stretch, stretch.

Sunday was one of the very few times in my life where I have actually enjoyed riding, because I was with a bunch of people from BTC who all stuck together the whole way. There was chit chat & banter & it was really fun to catch up with friends who I hadn't seen in a while. I can't imagine how people train for Ironman on their own. Its crazy. I had to do an easy 90km today which was all going to plan up until the 30km mark. We hit McCarrs Creek Rd (a long, winding bitch of a hill) & somehow, this fire ignited in me & I was ready to see what my legs could do. I pretty much sprinted from the bottom to the top & rode til my lungs were about to burst. I made it 3/4 of the way up before a couple of the girls started overtaking me - story of my life! But it was a lot further than what I used to be able to do before being overtaken! Team BTC were so encouraging & motivating, and I was feeling even more confident about Ironman by the end of the ride.

Here's a YouTube clip I found of McCarr's Creek Rd. It was taken by someone on a motorbike but will give you an idea of how steep it can get:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_3C5bnoyI.

Super pumped for rest day Monday & hoping the weather gods will be good to me this week. Although the rain somehow makes me feel somewhat invincible & hardcore!

Thank you to everyone who played a part in helping me train this week. And for believing in me so much. I am so excited for race day (and not even the least bit nervous about running my first marathon)!

Happy training & HTFU,

Bel





No comments:

Post a Comment