Thursday, April 26, 2012

Focusing on the finish line & the journey ahead

Well, its about 9 days til the big dance, & its all starting to feel a bit surreal. I know I have been talking about this non-stop for the last few months but I still can't believe there's only a few days left before I attempt my first Ironman. I know its going to be an amazing experience that I will never forget, filled with emotions, excitement & pain. Only a triathlete would fork out $750 for that!

I've still been searching for the motivation fairy & don't feel like I have had the greatest preparation in the last four weeks. People have said to me that the long stuff is all done & you have the miles in your legs. But skipping sessions isn't going to help me enjoy race day either. I've trained with friends to try & help me get out of the rut but I just can't seem to push myself & be consistent. I either go too hard & burn out or I just go too slow & can't keep up. Like everyone, I have had really great sessions & really crap sessions where I feel so unfit. But at the end of the day, I'm about to embark on something that most people would never even dream of doing. So at this point, I'm just taking it one day at a time, putting one foot in front of the other & getting out of bed to do SOMETHING. Because something is better than nothing. I'm the queen of HTFU but even that couldn't help me. Its times like these that its really important to have friends & family around to support you. I honestly don't know how people do this year after year. The time, commitment, focus and sacrifice. It truly is amazing.

After having a D&M with my coach this week, there was one statement that stood out in my mind & I wanted to share it because it was the moment I finally started to believe I could do this:

"You have found training tough at times but I know you are going to be the athlete that gets the most out of Ironman on the day. I know you won't be disappointed & you will have a blast & finish this incredible challenge. And that is what its all about. Not time. People will be disappointed & hate the day & therefore just won't get the whole Ironman thing. Not you. And that is why I love being on this journey with you." - My coach, Mel Cockshutt (from Port Macquarie).

After reading that, I felt inspired. Mel seems to always know the right thing to say when I am having one of those sookie-la-la moments. And even though I may have let myself down in a few sessions & not done what she has asked, she still makes me feel like I am capable of achieving my goals. Triathletes - such high bloody achievers! Apparently its not good enough to do just do three disciplines!

I never doubted I could complete an Ironman when I started training but I started doubting my ability to do it well. I know its going to hurt but I still want to soak it all up on the day and if I am mentally tough, then I will have a lot more fun. I don't want to be one of those miserable triathletes you see, hating life by the time they get to the run. For me, its about enjoying the whole experience, appreciating all of the supporters who keep you going & feeling that sense of utter pride when you cross that finish line. And boy, am I going to live that up.

Yesterday, a group of us BTC members hit the waters of Balmoral Beach at 7am on ANZAC Day. It was a ridiculous time to be up on a public holiday but when you're training for an Ironman, public holidays are a god send. A chance to really get some k's in without having to cram in sessions before or after work. As much as I hated getting out of bed (it was about 12*C), the sun was shining by the time I arrived at the beach & I was happy to hit the water (which ended up being warmer than I thought). Thank god for wetsuits though!

I joined Cat, Nate & Kath for a 4km swim. Yep, 4km of swimming non-stop in open water. I kept it easy for the first half & then picked up the pace towards the end. We did 10 laps around the buoys before swimming back to the pier & at the end of the session, I was filled with utter pride. I couldn't believe it. I had never done that before, ever. I actually couldn't believe we had done 4kms! It was such a defining moment & I proved to myself that I was ready for that swim. 

Later that afternoon, I joined Owain, Saxon, Dani & Hannah for a run. The speeding bullets of BTC. I had to do 1.5hrs, varying my pace every half hour.  I was hurting. They were pushing me, which is exactly what I needed, and although I felt slow, it is always motivating to run with other people. I really enjoyed it, even though I was at the back (and after I had a drink, I wanted to dry reach)!

This weekend is the NSW Club Champs in Forster; 1km swim, 30km ride, 8km run against all the other clubs in NSW. Balmoral have finished on the podium in 3rd place for the last few years & this time, we are back to get a little closer to the win. Its one of the most fun races on the calendar & for most triathletes, it will be one of the last races of the season. I can't wait to catch up with everyone & celebrate afterwards. Then its only one more week til Ironman!

My custom-made tri suit still hasn't arrived & I'm not sure that it will get here in time, so I may be racing in my BTC suit for Ironman. I've had some yellow Fonginator supporter shirts made though, so look out for us on the day. I'm not nervous about the race at all yet & hopefully it will stay that way.

This time next week, I will be carbo loading. Hello food!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. Cannot believe the journey is really about to begin! 














No comments:

Post a Comment