Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Hawaii Ironman World Championships 2013


Every October, the world’s best triathletes line up in Hawaii to compete in the crown jewel of triathlon: the IRONMAN World Championships in Kona.

For the non-triathletes, this Iron-distance event consists of a 3.8km swim, 180km bike ride through lava fields and cross-winds and a 42km run in 30*C heat with about 80% humidity. This race brings together the best in the world; top professionals and age groupers alike. In order to compete in this event, you must qualify at an Ironman branded race (in most cases, you need to finish at the top end of your age group) or via the lottery system. This year alone, there were just over 2000 competitors.

I have been wanting to go to Kona for quite a few years now, having watched it online on numerous occasions. It has always been on my bucket list and this year, I was fortunate enough to have a few close friends who had qualified for the event, which gave me an excuse to save up some money and put my cheer squad duties to good use. 

The race and the days leading up to it was everything I had ever dreamt about; and more. Literally thousands of people had flown in from all over the world to be a part of this iconic event. The atmosphere on race day was absolutely electrifying and I was very fortunate to have captured some of the footage on my Go Pro. Highlights included the Underpants Run, swimming to the Coffees of Hawaii boat, meeting Chrissie Wellington and Hillary Biscay and of course, watching my friends running down the finishing chute at a World Championship event, lined with thousands of people. Still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

For anyone that has ever wanted to go to Kona - stop thinking about it, and do it. I promise you will love it. Whilst I am far from being good enough to qualify for an event like this (about 3 hours too slow), I have been so inspired by these amazing athletes. The sheer determination and courage that every competitor showed was simply inspiring. I can't say I will be doing another Ironman anytime soon but maybe I could be persuaded to enter the lottery. You never know, right?

You can view the video here.

Thanks for watching!

Bel

Follow me on Twitter/Instagram: the_fonginator

No comments:

Post a Comment